1. Evaluate your strengths, skills and capabilities. Knowing what you are good at will help you ease into a career faster. Make a list of the things you can do without any effort like persuading people, making new friends and connections, effectively writing down your thoughts, effectively communicating verbally and so on and so forth.
2. Before preparing for your marketing career, scout some marketing job ads and look for the type of job that interests you. There are a variety of fields and a variety of roles in different marketing niches so choose something that you think you will love doing for a long time.
3. Take career tests, quizzes, surveys and get the opinion of your teachers and mentors. Knowing your interests and inclinations will help you match yourself to a career that will highlight your assets. As you look over different job postings for marketing careers, mind the duties and responsibilities. Imagine yourself doing all those things before choosing that job and that field.
4. Once you have an idea on what you want to be and where you want to be after college, enroll in a reputable school that offers marketing courses and specializations. As you enroll in subjects required, think of the field you want to pursue and stick to that area.
5. Do not close your doors to opportunities. Though you may already have chosen a path for your future as a marketer, keep an open mind that you can also be great in other fields. Collect experiences by volunteering to work as an amateur marketer in a local project or work as an intern.